Thursday 16 February 2017

With This Suffering

The premise of this blog is ultimately to encourage me to live a life that expresses Philippians 4:8. However, in the wake of suffering, how do we live lives that are submerged in things which are noble, just, pure, lovely, of good report, virtuous and praiseworthy. Moreover, how do we believe a God who is all these things in the midst of the kind of suffering that exposes our inability to be all these things.

I must say, this post on suffering emanates from a plethora of writing by DesiringGod as well as the stories of Wendy Alsup and Vaneeth Rendall Risner. With that Hebrews 11 faith, these two women share their daily pursuit of Gods heart though they are in a stew of suffering.

While reading Romans last year I remember just beginning to appreciate hardship. I recall just sitting for sessions on Romans 8 and reading it in as many translations as I could. This scripture really affirmed what I had known for many years. All my losses and all my suffering drove me to Gods throne. My suffering was indirectly the reason why I chose Jesus Christ. The phrase 'working for the good' was familiar but was relevant. I was assured and knew that the Maker is a Master. I read Romans 8 and believed it.

Honestly, in this season of suffering I really do not appreciate hardship and I do not always believe that it is working for my good. The life of Joseph and the story of the two disciples praising and praying in a Roman prison cell are formidable but Psalm 71:20 & 21 has been a treat. Hope is never a scarcity and so with this suffering I will hope.

Though you have made me see troubles,
many and bitter,
you will restore my life again;
from the depths of the earth
you will again bring me up.

You will increase my honor
and comfort me once again - Psalm 71:20&21

Signed
Rapt.

No comments:

Post a Comment