Friday 15 August 2014

Don't Forget Your Manners

I was walking from campus, steadily pacing for the midday bus. This was just me doing my every Wednesday business. Now my thing with catching a bus or train is: I just can't do it without my earphones. A bus or train ride can be dreadful when you've got the possibility of cheap, ignorant and careless conversation sparked in the seat behind yours. I am just not willing to let my ears pay homage to such but that's not what I'm on about today.

As I approach the queue for my bus, with Mali Music playing in my ears, I feel a sudden weight fall on my left foot just as I enter the station. I rapidly turn to see a fragile elderly lady laying on the dirty concrete floor with her pale face kissing my shoes.

My heart racing slightly, I quickly remove my earphones, throw my bag on the floor and reach down to help her. Wondering whether this was a medical emergency, I hear the lady saying, "Help! Help me. Help me" in the most breathless and minute voice. Struggling to get the lady standing, a man walks towards us and assists. Before I could decide if we needed any medical assistance or even finish asking the lady if she was fine, the old lady was steadily making her way towards her bus. As if her being on the floor asking for help just now was a dream.

I felt cheated. No regard for what had just happened. Like I was stupid for helping.

No I'm not writing this because "Woe is he who doesn't say thank you to me or acknowledge what I do for them." I am just reminded of the day this happened because of my gran lately constantly saying to me, "We can not afford to forget to say thank You. We prayed very hard about it and He has answered our prayers. Thank Him."

It's easy to get up and carry on after you've received what you asked for. However, if and when you become an advocate for: Matthew 21:22, John 14:13&14, Luke 11:9-13 and the likes.. Don't forget your manners.

Signed
ruminant

No comments:

Post a Comment